Thursday, February 10, 2011

Saying Goobye to the Beauty Shop

One of the things that I truly love about Paraguayan culture is going to the beauty shop!  I love it for many reasons- number one being the prices. 

When we first moved here, we didn't have a car.  So, I picked a beauty shop purely based on proximity to my house so that I could walk to it.  It was called Romy's.  It was a small little beauty shop on the corner near my house.  It was a very nice shop and I remember well the entertainment and embarrassment of trying to explain how I wanted my hair to be cut in the few broken spanish words that I knew when we arrived.  But, I eventually succeeded in at least making myself somewhat understood.  I got to know one of the girls there, Zuny.  So, when I would go in, I would always ask for her to cut my hair.  She was very good and even if I didn't make myself understood and she cut my hair completely different than what I attempted to explain, I was always happy with the way she cut it.  So, when Zuny decided that her and one of her workmates were going to open up their own business, I followed them there.  And then a year or so later when Zuny decided to open up her own business, I also followed her there.  So, now she owns her own beauty shop, in a great little (and pretty fancy) mall, that is just about 2 doors down from the original Romy's where I met her. 





Being located in a fancy little mall in an "higher class" area of town, her prices are a little higher than some of the smaller neighborhood beauty shops.  However, since I liked how she cut my hair, she was my friend and a potential church member, I stuck with her wherever she went.  And I really didn't mind the slightly higher prices, knowing how much I would be paying if I were in the US.  And if you look below at her prices, you will know what I mean!  (And these are the prices at our current exchange rate, which is 4.500guarnies to the dollar.  When we first moved here it was around 7.000guaranies to the dollar and so these were all about half these prices.  I miss those days!)

Hair cuts: $8.80
Brushings: $4.40
Washing: $2.00
Hair Coloring: $14.50
Highlights:  $15
Manicure: $3.30
Pedicure: $5.50
Waxing- $2.20- $16.50 (from eyebrows to practically your whole body!)
1 Hour Massage: $11.00

Going to the beauty shop in Paraguay is a slightly different concept than going to the beauty shop in the states.  Here, people go all the time!  If you have a wedding, dinner or a party to go to on a Saturday night, you go and get a "brushing" (which is pronounced the same in spanish as it is in english since it is adapted from the english word).  A "brushing" is getting your hair dried straight and then styled.  Many people in Paraguay, don't do their own hair and don't know how to do it.  They go and get it done at the beauty shop.  And manicures and pedicures are not as much of a special treat- they are the norm.  Many ladies go to the beauty shop every week to get their "mani y pedi" and some even go several different times during the week to get their "brushing" !  You would think that in a third world country, your toenails and fingernails would not be the highest of priority, but in the city of Asuncion, it is!

After years of going to the same beauty shop, I became really good friends with Zuny.  When I went to the states, I always brought her back a couple of hair styling/cutting magazines.  And each time I had a new baby, she would come to my house and cut my hair when I needed it so that I didn't have to get out and so that I could be at home with nursing babies.  It was really nice!  And everytime I got birthday or Christmas money, I saved part of it for visits to Zuny.  She knew all of my kids from coming by the house and from me bringing them with me to the shop.  I often took the kids to get their hair cut and on a few special occasions, Emma and I even treated ourselves to manicures together for girl time.  When we started selling our stuff this year, Zuny was one of the first in line!  She bought tons of our stuff.  My living room set is now in her living room.  And she brought us tons of customers.  Every day or say she would call and say "Can I bring one of my clients by to look at your stuff?" 

So, when it came time to start saying goodbye to people and places, we had to include Zuny and the beauty shop.  I took all three of the kids to get hair cuts and let them say "goodbye" to Zuny and the girls in the shop. 


Emma was brave and decided she should go first. 



While Emma was getting her cut, Walker and Olivia enjoyed eating "chipa", a Paraguayan cheese bread and staple for any and all Paraguayan households.



Walker was not too fond of getting his hair cut, but he did a pretty good job of sitting still (in my lap) and letting Zuny cut it.  Zuny gave Walker his first hair cut several years ago, but since then Chris and I have cut it at home with our electric razor.  However, that has been packed up and sent on the boat to the U.S. 



It was Olivia's first hair cut!  She was not a big fan of any of it.  Even sitting in my lap, she cried through the entire thing.



Much cuddling was needed afterwards!  But she sure did look cute!

We are going to miss Zuny and our friends at the beauty shop.  As well as the affordability of visiting such places often!


No comments:

Post a Comment