Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Paraguay- Where Soccer (futbol) is a Way of Life

A lot of people ask me what it is like here in Paraguay. Most of the time, I don’t really even notice that big of a difference, especially after having lived here for almost 7 years. I have always said that life is life no matter where you are. However, living here during the world cup is a whole different story! Living in the US, if asked about the world cup, I would have had to admit that I didn’t know what sport that was associated with (Okay, so I just gave away the fact that I am not a big sports follower). But the truth is that the average US citizen is aware of the world cup, but probably does not own a US soccer team jersey or even follow the games. But when it comes to this aspect, Paraguay IS a whole different world!


There are very few streets in Asuncion that do not have a clothes line hanging in the middle of them with a huge variety of size and style of “albirroja” jerseys, flags, hats, horn blowers, etc.



There are very few Paraguayans who do not own a Paraguayan jersey.




Most cars in the street display the team flag hanging out their window.



T.V.’s have come out of the wood work- at all hours people can be seen gathered around a small TV, watching. The President declared a holiday for the first Paraguayan game and no one had to go to work!


Last Sunday morning Paraguay was playing. I was getting ready to go to the church building to watch the big game, but I was running late because I had three little ones, plus myself to get ready! I heard fireworks going off outside and I immediately knew that Paraguay had scored. No need to stop and turn on the TV. 8am fireworks on a Sunday morning were a clear giveaway!



Today, Paraguay played against Japan and won! Several of our members gathered at the church building to watch the big game. The room was tense as we went into overtime. When we got that last goal, the room went crazy! I was jumping up and down and screaming right along with the rest of the room! Someone turned around and Luis Fernando and Walker, both 3 years old, were hugging and jumping up and down and yelling “Paraguay!” The city exploded with fireworks and we could hear horns honking out in the street, nonstop.

We went outside to check things out and Emma summed it up perfectly, “Mom, is this a big parade?”


Our building is right at the corner of two main avenues and it was so fun to be right in the action. Cars were lined up, honking their horns, people hanging out of them, decked out in their albirroja, multiple flags flying and screaming their hearts out. It was amazing! And not only did it happen when we first went outside, it continued for hours! Most people seemed to be making their way to downtown, where there was an all-out street party. I can only imagine how proud the Paraguayans felt because I was bursting with pride for Paraguay! I am proud to be an American, but today I was also super proud to be a resident of Paraguay. It was a fun day!

1 comment:

  1. great pics! love it! wish we could be there to feel the excitement. i hope they keep winning so we can be in ASU for a victory!

    ReplyDelete