Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Digital Cookbook I Almost Invented

The other day I was cooking and I really needed a recipe that I had downloaded onto my computer.  However, my computer was in the living room and was turned off.  In order to view the recipe, I was going to have to go to the living room, turn my computer on and find the recipe, then either write it down or take my computer upstairs to print it off.  Either way I would have been with yet another piece of paper with a recipe on it that would have to find a "home" in my stash of recipes.  I love to cook. And even more, I love to try new recipes.  My problem is that I am running out of space to keep all of my recipes.  And certainly running out of time to keep them all organized like.  For years, organizing all of my recipes has been on my "to do" list.  I just keep putting it off because it seems like such a huge task and I just could not decide on a way to organize them that sounded good to me!  

So as I was in my kitchen, needing that recipe, and I started thinking about the perfect invention.  What I needed was something digital that was small enough to leave in the kitchen, something that would hold all of my recipes in an organized way, something spill-proof, something that I could sink with my computer and that would hold all the recipes that I download, something fabulous.....and I was going to invent it!  And then, of course, I laughed at myself.  I went to my computer, brought it into the kitchen and turned it on, looked at the recipe I needed (after all, I did still need that recipe!) and then googled "digital recipes".  I sorted through a few recipe software links and then...I saw it.  Just as I had expected- someone else had already invented it!  The Demy by Key Ingredient. 

http://www.mydemy.com/

Here is what the website says about it: "The Demy is the world's first kitchen-safe digital recipe reader that will revolutionize the way you cook. The Demy holds your personal recipe collection in one sleek, compact device. Featuring a high-resolution color touchscreen, an uncluttered interface and many special tools to make any cook’s job easier."






It looks great! It is still rather pricey and seems to still have a few bugs to be worked out, but I am sooo excited!  I haven't been able to stop talking about it and reading about it.    It even has a website that works in conjunction with it.  I was thinking, wow- I would love to have one of these!  And then my wonderful husband said "So would you like that for your birthday?"  My birthday is coming up in a few weeks!  Of course I would like that for my birthday!  Why didn't I think of that?  I can't wait!  Now I just have to find the time to get all of my other paper recipes typed into my computer.  But, it is a start! I can't wait to get rid of tons of printed recipes!!!  I am getting a Demy!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Let me know how it works... who knows, you may have started something here! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that thing does look pretty cool. If I liked to cook, I'd probably want one too! It's like a little mini Kindle.

    Love your blog, Vic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K., that's a pretty cool little help in the kitchen...I will be looking for a review on your blog when you get it! =) And you sound like me about thinking you have this idea for a GREAT invention...and then it already exists! It never ceases to be just a tad disappointing.

    ReplyDelete