Monday, July 26, 2010

A Review of the Digital Cookbook I Almost Invented- The Demy

I finally received my Demy!  And it is everything I had hoped for.  It took me a few days to actually be able to sit down and get started with it.  I have to admit, I am still not using it to it's full ability.  But, I have it set up and ready to add all of my recipes to it.  It was fairly easy to set-up, although I wouldn't recommend someone who is not familiar with uploading and downloading and looking up information on websites trying to do it by themselves.  I think the best information for getting it set up is on the mydemy website under "getting started".  http://www.mydemy.com/getting-started/  Here are some of the advertised features of the Demy:
  • It stores up to 2,500 recipes
  • It syncs with your computer and an account you set up with http://www.keyingredient.com/
  • It has two different viewing angles and it automatically switches the screen when you turn it
  • It is splash and stain resistant and is easy to clean
  • It has a touch screen that allows you to access all of your recipes
  • You can organize your recipes into your own cookbooks
  • It has adjustable font sizes
  • It has a "short list" that you can add recipes to so that if you want to use 4 recipes for one meal, you just touch a button to flip back and forth between them
  • It has 3 built in timers for when you are cooking various foods at once
  • It has a built in conversion tool for measurements
  • It has a thorough list of alternative ingredients
But there are a few other things that I found later, that I also loved!  You can add recipes from your other favorite recipe websites onto your keyingredient account.  AND, you can add a button on one of your toolbars and any time you are surfing the net and find a recipe you like, you just highlight the recipe and touch your "post to key ingredient" button and it takes you straight to your keyingredient account so that you can dump the recipe into it!  You have to cut and paste to get it there, but it puts them side by side so that you can easily do it.  And it leads you through each step. 

It also comes with preloaded recipes, but you can send an email to the support staff and they will delete the preloaded ones and you can just have your own recipes on it.  This is explained here:  http://support.keyingredient.com/f-a-q-summary/doihavetokeepthepreloadedrecipesonthedemy .   I was very impressed that within 20 minutes after I sent the email, my preloaded recipes were gone! 

Getting my account on keyingredient set up was also very fast and easy. They also have a way to add your recipes to your own personal blog in the same style that you see the recipes in your account (I hope to add one in the next few days so you can check one out on here.)  And they have a "blog" button on their site where they blog a new recipe every day during the week, which you can follow. And the recipes from the blog are super easy to put into you own account. You can also do grocery lists and print them out on the website as well as share recipes, among other things.


I can't wait to get all of my recipes loaded on so that I can start using it everyday!  And I am so glad someone else invented this for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment