Saturday, July 17, 2010

Lots of Pancake and Homemade "Bisquick" Mix Recipes

Several months ago I was searching for a new pancake recipe because I was out of Bisquick and we were not happy with the homemade recipe I had.  It called for buttermilk and since we don't have buttermilk here, I had to make it (see below for buttermilk substitution).  We have just never liked the taste of the buttermilk substitution in pancakes.  So, I asked for some new recipes on facebook and I got tons of great ones sent my way!  I also got a few multipurpose mix (aka Bisquick) recipes, as well as syrup recipes.  I have not officially tested all of these, but I am getting there.  And I always throw some fruits or veggies in my pancakes because it is often Walker's only source of them!  (See below for fruit/veggie ideas and amounts)

Hope you enjoy!


This one was give to me by Lori McElvain Parshall:
Oatmeal Pancakes
3/4 cup regular or quick cooking oats, uncooked
1 1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil (or applesauce - I like the applesauce best - healthier and tastier)
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Combine oats and milk, set aside for 5 minutes. Add eggs and oil to oat mixture, mixing well. Combine dry ingredients and add to oat mixture. Stir just until blended. Pour 1/4 cup batter on hot griddle for each pancake. Yields 4-5 servings.

********************************************************************
This one was given to me by Allison Hill Kizer:
Yogurt Pancakes
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (I usually use salted butter and just a little less salt)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup plain/natural yogurt (Here people love the "drinkable" yogurt in bottles, so I buy that but I look for brands that are a little thicker-don't buy light)
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat & lightly grease pan or griddle with vegetable oil. Mix all dry ingredients, then add egg, yogurt, and butter. Stir together lightly, but keep batter lumpy. The batter should be spongy and puffy. Drop batter in small batches onto the cooking surface. Cook until lightly browned on each side.
************************************************************************
This one was given to me by Benay Blume:
Homemade Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
2 cups buttermilk (or 2 T. vinegar and enough milk to make 2 cups)
2 T. sugar
2 eggs
2 t. baking powder (I import mine from the US because the Brazilian is not as strong.)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. oil

Mix all ingredients together. Cook on griddle, med-high heat- mine is Teflon so I don't grease it. Add blueberries if you want to.

************************************************************************
This one was given to me by Cara Blackmer:
Pumpkin Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp canola oil
1 cup nonfat milk
1/3 cup pure pumpkin

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together in a medium bowl. Combine egg, oil, milk and pumpkin in a small bowl. Stir pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients. Leave to stand for five minutes. For each pancake, scoop 1/4 cup of batter on to a hot griddle or nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Turn pancakes when bubbles appear and edges are cooked, after about 2 minutes. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes on second side. Makes 8-10 pancakes.

****************************************************************************
This one was given to me by Mercedes Smith:

Good Old Fashioned Pancakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth. Heat griddle and cook.

****************************************************************************
This one was given to me by Dwina Willis, but is a recipe of Myra Holmans:
Pancake Ready Mix
3 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. sugar

8 1/2 c. unbleached white flour
2 T. salt
4 c. instant non-fat dry mix
3/4 c. baking powder...

MIX all ingredients together well. Store in tightly covered container.

To make pancakes:
1 1/2 c. pancake ready mix
1 - 1 1/2 c. water (until right consistency)
1 egg
2 T oil.

Measure mix, add water, egg & oil. Stir and use as you would any pancake batter. Each batch makes 12 - 15 pancakes
****************************************************************************
This one was given to me by Amy McKissick:
MULTI-PURPOSE (PANCAKE) MIX…bisquick

10 cups flour
2 ½ cups powdered milk
½ cup sugar
¼ cup baking powder
2 Tbs salt

Mix together. Store in large airtight container in a cool, dry place.
**You can use this for any recipe that calls for Bisquick.

PANCAKES
1 ½ cups pancake mix
1 egg
1 cup water
3 Tbs vegetable oil
(I add vanilla flavoring or almond flavoring)

Mix together, blend well, and let stand for 5 minutes. Cook on a hot oiled griddle. Makes 10-12 4-inch pancakes.  My kids love when I add chocolate chips, sprinkles or food color the batter.
Fruit such as bananas or strawberries or blueberries baked in tastes wonderful too.

ONION RINGS
Make pancake batter with ice water. Dip thin onion slices and fry about 2 minutes until golden.
Great with ranch dressing or salsa. Easy for snack or a light meal.

FRENCH TOAST
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup pancake mix
(I add vanilla and cinnamon)
10 slices of bread

Mix in shallow bowl, blend well. Dip bread into batter and cook on hot buttered griddle about 3 minutes each side.


PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
¾ cup peanut butter
2 cups pancake mix
1 tsp vanilla
Sugar
Chocolate squares

Beat milk and peanut butter until smooth, add pancake mix and vanilla, and mix well. Shape into balls, roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 6-8 minutes at 375.
Place chocolate square in the center of the cookie immediately after removing from oven.

I always make a double batch – half I cook for instant enjoyment and the other half I prepare as above except I do not cook them. Instead I put them on a cookie sheet and place it in the freezer. When the balls are frozen I transfer to zip-lock bags, label and store. It makes a quick and easy dessert later on – just remover from freezer and bake. I also freeze the chocolate squares with the cookies so I know that I have all the ingredients.  I do this with any of my cookie recipes (chocolate chip, snicker doodles, chocolate oatmeal, sugar cookies, etc) – cook half and freeze the other half.


KFC BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
1/2 Cup Butter
2 1/2 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Egg, beaten
3/4 Cup Buttermilk
1/4 Cup Club soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
5 Cup pancake mix

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine all of the ingredients. Knead the dough by hand until smooth. Flour your hands. Pat the dough flat to 3/4−inch thick on waxed paper. Cut out biscuits. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 18 biscuits.

Variations:

PIZZA CRUST - flatten half the dough on a cookie sheet and bake it 15 minutes at 350, then add ingredients on top and bake until bubbly.

CINNAMON ROLLS - Roll out dough, spread evenly with melted butter, sprinkle generously with sugar and cinnamon. Roll up, slice and bake for 18 minutes at 350. As soon as they come out of the over top with a powered sugar, vanilla, and milk mixture.

Make double the recipe – half for dessert that night and the second half prepared as above but stored in refrigerator overnight to cook in the morning for breakfast.

DUMPLINGS – prepare like above. Put them by spoon-fulls into your simmering chicken soup mixture. Cook 10 minutes with the lid on and then 10 minutes with the lid off.

****************************************************************************
My recipe
Homemade Pancake Syrup
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cups brown sugar (or a total of 2 cups regular sugar if you can't get brown)
1 cup water

Boil for 1- 1.5 minutes.  Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon mapelline.  Stir and let it cool with lid.

****************************************************************************
Sent to me by Benay Blume
Maple Syrup
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
pinch of salt

Heat on stove until boiling. Turn off heat and stir in 1/2-1 t. maple flavoring.
Ladle warm syrup onto pancakes, or store in refrigerator

*****************************************************************************
Buttermilk Substitute: 
•Milk (just under one cup)
•1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice

Preparation:
1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.

***************************************************************************
Fruit and Veggie Additions:
I always add a fruit or vegetable to my pancakes.  For my family, it has to be pureed or my kids won't eat it.   Usually around a cup of fruits or veggies can be added without completely changing the texture.  You can also give them a little protein boost with adding some wheat germ.  Here are a few of my favorites: 
 
Bananas- I just use a fork to mash them up and mix them into the batter with some cinnamon. 
Strawberries- I puree them in a food processor/chopper and then add them to the batter.
Pumpkin- If I have canned- I just open them and put them in the batter with some cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg and/or allspice.  If not, I cut up a pumpkin, steam it in a steamer basket, cut the rind off and then add some of the water from the pan into a food processor with the pumpkin to make a puree.  Then add spices. 
Sweet Potato- I either boil or steam them, remove the skin, add some of the water from the pan into the food processor and make a puree.  I also add cinnamon and/or some of the above spices to it.
Beet- I either steam or boil this as well.  If I put this in the pancakes, I only use about 1/4 cup of it and then add 3/4 cup of either pumpkin or sweet potato.  And then add the same above spices.  It make the pancakes pink, which can be fun if you have little girls! 
 
**And the easiest thing to do if you don't live in the US (where you can buy cans easily) is to make all of your veggies/fruits purees ahead of time, freeze them in ice cube trays and then when you are ready to make pancakes, you just thaw how many ever cubes you want to throw in and add them to your mixture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment