Monday, February 11, 2013

Walker Stops Sucking His Thumb

Several months back, Walker had a visit to the dentist.  As soon as they looked into his mouth, they said "Does he suck his thumb?"  Well, of course, the answer was yes.  They said that there was no permanent damage YET, but that he really needed to stop before he started losing baby teeth and gaining permanent ones.  The doctor gave several suggestions.  All of which were very expensive!  I told him that the only time that Walker sucked his thumb was when he had his "teddy" in his hand.  And that we only let him have that in his bed when he was going to sleep.  Guess what the doctor suggested?  That it was time to get rid of the teddy.  Walker of course heard this conversation, but didn't say very much.  And he didn't mention it until I started talking to him about it later that afternoon.  Then the tears came. And the begging followed.  He was saying "Please mommy, don't take away teddy.  I just don't think I can sleep without him!"  And he was very, very serious.  It broke my heart!  So, when Chris got home, we talked about it and talked to Walker.  We decided to ask him if he had any solutions.  In the sweetest little voice, he said "Well, could I just wear gloves?"  We thought that was a great idea!  At least one worth trying!  So, he got some of his little winter gloves and put them on that night when he went to sleep.  I checked on him several times and each time, there was no thumb in his mouth!  And he hasn't sucked his thumb since!  It worked!  Who would have ever thought that something so inexpensive and so simple would break his thumb sucking habit?  I told several people that I think I need to market some gloves as "break the thumb sucking habit" gloves!  I am sure someone would buy them!  We were so proud of our little guy for being so creative and so thankful that we didn't have to make him give up his teddy.  And when we shared our progress with the dentist office, they were thrilled!

Here is our little guy with his favorite pair of Angry Bird gloves.


As he has stopped the habit, he has moved to gloves without the tips in them that he got for Christmas. Lol.  And even though I don't think he still needs to wear them, every night he puts his gloves on before he goes to bed.  We may have to break that habit someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment