Friday, April 15, 2011

Adjusting back to American Culture

Sometimes adjustment comes in funny shapes and forms.  Here are just a few things that we have found entertaining as we are getting back into the swing of life in the states.

Plumbing!
My kids have struggled in the bathroom.  And not exactly in the way that it sounds.  First of all, they are so confused about where to throw their toilet paper!  In Paraguay, you always throw it in the trash can.  Plumbing systems there just can't handle the paper.  So, now that we are back in the states, my kids keep trying to throw their toilet paper away in the garbage cans.  That is not that big of a deal when you are in a public restroom, but it is kind of embarrassing when they do it in people's homes!  What a fun surprise for those who are allowing us into their houses and bathrooms!

And then when we go into public restrooms, my kids are traumatized by the automatic flushing toilets.  WE didn't have such things in Paraguay. We have had several instances of the toilets flushing midway into a potty break and it has really been terrifying for them!  Walker has actually refused to use the bathroom several times for fear of it flushing on him.  Thankfully, some of my facebook friends gave me lots of great tips about how to stop those things from flushing.  However, the kids are finding great entertainment with the automatic sinks and soap dispensers (as well as water fountains.)  They had never used water fountains except for here in the U.S.  There is no need to take my kids to Disney world- just give them a water fountain or automatic soap dispenser!  Just no automatic potties please!

Lack of full service:
Emma has been greatly offended by the fact that there is no one at the gas stations to pump our gas.  In Paraguay- all stations are full service!  After several times of us stopping to get gas, Emma said "Mommy, why won't anyone come out and help us?"  That is actually a hard concept to explain to a 5 year old!

Grocery Stores:
In Paraguay when you are at the grocery store and you finish putting your groceries on the counter, you push your cart backwards.  Now, when I first got to Paraguay, this drove me nuts!  I mean, you have to ask people to scoot over and let you push it backwards.  But now that I am back in the states, I guess old habits are hard to break because I keep trying to push my cart backwards!  I have gotten some pretty strange looks! 

Technology:
I think this has been my hardest adjustment!  The week we got back, my palm pilot crashed.  And if you know me, my palm pilot (or paper planner back in the day) is my life!  I was horrified to find out that there is no longer technological support for such a thing.  My beloved palm has been retired for quite some time.  In Paraguay, I felt like I had a fancy phone.  But, I have found that here, my phone is decrepid and even worthy of mockery!  It has taken me weeks to adjust to the new iPhone that we got.  Don't get me wrong, now that I have moved everything over and figured out how to use it, I absolutely love it ! And I keep wondering how I lived without all of it's fanciness.  But, it has definately hurt my brain trying to adjust to so many new things at once !

I guess that about covers it for now.  I am sure there will be more to come as we continue adjusting!

No comments:

Post a Comment