Thursday, April 28, 2011

U.S. verses Paraguay! Soccer or Futbol?


In March we were able to go to the USA verses Paraguay soccer game held in Nashville, TN.  When we heard about this game, we were still in Paraguay and we were so excited about it!  What are the chances that Paraguay and the US are going to play soccer in the US in a town a few hours from us right when we are moving back? 


And what made it even better was that our former teammates Enoch and Laura were able to be in Nashville at the same time and meet up with us to play with the kids one night and then the next night go to the game with us!  The kids were so excited to see them! (And we were too!)


Warm ups for the game could have been a little warmer.  It was cold out there!

Chris and I all bundled up. 

Let the games begin!


Several of the members at West Dyersburg church of Christ had visited us in Paraguay, so a group of them met up with us in Nashville to see the game. 


Chris and Enoch and Laura trying to stay warm and dry.  It rained on and off throughout the game, which did not add to the warmth of the night.

A close-up of some of the players on the big screen.


It was too cold to just wear my Paraguay jersey, so I brought it with me and we used it as a flag throughout the game.  I really was not sure which team to cheer for.  This is my sister Sheila beside of me.  Her and her husband live in Nashville, so they were also able to join us! 


I raided my sister's closet for clothes to wear because I didn't have any warm clothes in my suitcase.  She told me to get some long socks out of her closet to wear with her boots.  These red and white striped ones were the only ones I found.  She later laughed at me and told me that those were from a halloween costume.  But, they were warm and a fun way to wear my Paraguay colors without getting into too much trouble!  So, I had to show them off in a picture. 


The game was in full swing.  The crowd was great.  Everyone stood during the entire game!  It would have been fun if my sister's boots had not been killing my feet.  And if the guy a few rows down below us had not tried to start the wave 1500 times during the game.  We all went home with this terrible "We're gonna start the wave, we're gonna start the wave, we're gonna start the wave 1, 2, 3, 4" chant stuck in our heads.  He did somehow manage to get a wave going around the entire stadium. (I am guessing mostly out of just trying to get him to stop chanting!)  It went around about 2 full times and then something big happened in the game and it was lost.  He tried the rest of the game to get it restarted, to no avail.  But, he sure did manage to drive everyone around him crazy!  In the end, Paraguay came out on top 1-0 and everyone had a fun time!  Some of our friends in Paraguay were texting back and forth with us during the game :)  Technology is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment