Friday, January 11, 2013

The Little Orange Dress

My niece's birthday is coming up, so I decided to make her a little pillowcase dress.  When we went to the store to pick out fabric, Emma kept wanting pink fabric.  But, I was drawn to these orange and yellow colors.  Of course, that seems to be a trend in my life.  My house is full of yellow, orange and red, as is my closet.  I wasn't really sure how I was going to make this dress, but I knew that I wanted it to be pieced together rather than just the normal pillowcase dress.  So, I cut the fabric into strips and sewed them together. The layers on the back of the dress are in a different order than the ones on the front.  (That way I didn't have to worry about getting them lined up as perfectly!) Then I used one of Olivia's pillowcase dresses as a pattern.  It was very easy, as most pillowcase dresses are.  I basically just cute the arm holes, sewed up the sides, made a pocket for the ribbon at the top and then hemmed the bottom.  I used a safety pin attached to the end of the ribbon to run it through the top and the dress was made! The fun part was making a little flower on the front.


I cut 5 squares of fabric, each one smaller than the previous one.  Then I free-handed 4 flowers and one tiny circle on the back of the fabric and cut them out.  I used the sewing machine to outline each flower while leaving about 1/4 inch around the outside.  Once I got them all outlined, I cut tiny little slits around the edges to allow them to fray once they are washed.  Then I stacked them all up and tacked them on with a button and thread!  


I was so pleased with how it turned out!  I hope she loves it!  My husband reminded me that not everyone has taste as bold and bright as I do, but I think she will look precious in this dress!  

No comments:

Post a Comment