Thursday, January 31, 2013

Frugal Homemade Hand Print Decorations

I saw an idea on Pinterest that inspired this artwork that hangs in our kitchen.  After living in Paraguay for so long, I became one of those people who hates to throw anything away that could potentially have a purpose. Some of the ladies at church found that out about me and have "donated" random things to me that I might be able to give a new purpose.  One of those things was a bag full of greeting card boxes.  One of the ladies said that she had always kept everything and her husband was finally putting his foot down and not allowing her to keep them in the house anymore.  So, she was thrilled to know that I also liked to keep things that I might use in the future.  And I was very excited that she gave me these really great, sturdy greeting cards boxes.  It didn't take me long to have the perfect idea for them.  I took them apart and used all of the box top lids as mini canvases.  I painted them in colors that coordinated with my kitchen and dining room.  My kitchen has orange walls and my dining room has brown and yellow walls.  So, I took those three colors and used 6 box top lids and painted two of them in each of the three colors.  Then I had each person in our family dip their hand in a coordinating paint color and then put their hand print on the lids.  I love how it turned out!  Now we have personalized artwork in our kitchen and it even pulls my dining room colors in and helps coordinate the two rooms!



We hung them in order from oldest to youngest and even added our dog, Toby's paw print to the end.  That was an interesting project!  He was really not very happy about having his little paw painted.  But it was very much worth it, because I love my free homemade artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment